We plan field trips throughout the year. These day-trips usually include a tourist destination (selected by our members) and a meal at a nearby restaurant. In some cases, lunch out is the destination!
There is a fee for these trips based on the destinations, although the Center usually subsidizes part of that fee for our members. Typically the destinations are within a 2-hour drive of the Center.
Here are some of the places we’ve been in the past:
- Safari Park in Natural Bridge
- Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
- Ash Lawn-Highland
- D-Day Memorial
- Shenandoah Caverns
- The Homestead
Young at Heart Days
- When: June each year
- Where: Camp Overlook in Keezletown, VA
- What: “Young at Heart Days” is a program for older adults before the summer camping season starts. The camp counselors do a wonderful job providing a day of activities, live entertainment, and a delicious, nutritious lunch served family-style. Center members look forward to this event each year to visit the mountains and to see the truly good-hearted, cheerful, and giving young people who serve as the counselors.
- When: September each year
- Where: James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA
- What: Another annual favorite, the Senior Prom is hosted by JMU’s College of Nursing. The students pick a theme (ie: the 1950′s, luau, country-western), provide live entertainment, dancing, a buffet-style lunch and door prizes.