TED (Transportation for the Elderly and Disabled)
Staffed completely by volunteer drivers, the TED Program offers door-to-door transportation in and around the Staunton, Augusta, Waynesboro (SAW) Region for individuals 60 years and older and individuals under 60 with a disability.
Services Include: (some restrictions may apply)
- Transportation for residents of Staunton and Waynesboro within their city’s limits for grocery shopping, doctor appointments, banking and other life essential destinations.
- Transportation for residents of the SAW Region to non-emergency medical appointments in Fishersville, Charlottesville, Harrisonburg, and surrounding areas.
All About TED
How do I sign up? An application for services must be completed and approved prior to service. Call 540-949-7141 for an application.
Do I need to make a reservation? Yes, reservations are taken on a first come, first served basis and should be requested in advance due to the high demand for services. Service hours are 9:00am to 3:40pm Monday-Friday.
How much does a ride cost? There is no charge for services; however, donations are requested and strongly encouraged in order to sustain the program.
- $1.00 for each one-way trip within city limits of Waynesboro and Staunton
- $5.00 for a round trip to an appointment less than 25 miles away (e.g. within your locality or to Augusta Health)
- $10.00 for a round trip to an appointment that is more than 25 miles from your home. (e.g. Charlottesville, Harrisonburg, Richmond, etc.)
Can I use TED if I have my own car? The TED Program was specifically created for those with no other means of transportation or a driver’s license. If you are temporarily or permanently unable to drive, TED may be able to help you.
Can I use TED for all of my appointments and errands? TED should not be considered your sole source of transportation, rather a companion to other transportation resources such as family, friends, and community.
What if I use a wheelchair? Yes, TED vans are wheelchair accessible.
The TED Program relies on volunteer drivers from the local community to meet the high demand for services. If you would like to join our dedicated team of volunteer drivers, VPAS would love to hear from you! Or to learn more about the TED Program contact TED Volunteer Coordinator Jacquie Horton for more information at 540-949-7141 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.