Monthly Blood Pressure Checks
Each month the Center offers free blood pressure checks to its members and other older adults in the community. Please check the current monthly calendar for dates and times.
Annual Flu Shots
For the convenience of members, staff, and volunteers, we offer a flu shot clinic each year at the Center.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services provide the following guidance regarding flu vaccinations. Protect yourself from the flu by getting your flu vaccination early, before flu season ramps up. Medicare clients can get the flu vaccine at no cost. The flu vaccine can prevent the flu; it does not give people the flu. Getting a flu vaccine is the best thing you can do to keep you from getting sick this flu season. Additionally, by protecting yourself, you are also protecting those you care about from getting the flu from you. All adults age 65 years and older, and people who are under 65 who have chronic illness, including heart disease, lung disease, diabetes or end-stage renal disease should get a flu vaccine.
Chronic Disease Self-Management Program
- Who: Class size requires a minimum of 10 participants
- When: Classes usually take place each fall and spring. Stay tuned to this website for information.
- Where: Contact Lori Pullin at 540-886-4634 for information.
- What: This six-week workshop is designed to lower the stress associated with chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, etc. Participants will learn a variety of necessary day-to-day management skills needed to maintain and/or increase life’s activities. Pre-registration is required.
- Call 886-4634 to register your interest in participating.
National Memory Screening Day
National Memory Screening Day is an initiative of the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America. It is part of their ongoing national effort to promote early detection of memory problems, including Alzheimer’s disease, and to encourage appropriate intervention, including medical treatments, social services and other resources. AFA believes that memory screenings are a significant first step toward early diagnosis. AFA carries out this event in collaboration with organizations and healthcare professionals across the U.S. — bringing them together for care. Participating sites offer free, confidential memory screenings, as well as follow-up resources and educational materials to those concerned about memory loss.
Staunton Senior Center participates in the National Memory Screening Day each November. Check the activity calendar for date and time.
The Community Wellness department at Augusta Health has partnered with the Center for many years to conduct free, confidential glucose screenings each spring to SSC members and other older adults in the community. This event is normally scheduled in April. Screenings are done on a first-come, first-served basis. There are no appointments taken.
*You will get the most accurate results if you have fasted for a minimum of 12 hours when you take the test.
The Community Wellness department at Augusta Health has partnered with the Center for many years to conduct free, confidential cholesterol screenings each fall to SSC members and other older adults in the community. This event is normally scheduled in September. Screenings are done on a first-come, first-served basis, no appointments are necessary.
*The equipment used tests cholesterol and glucose levels. You will get the most accurate glucose results if you have fasted for a minimum of 12 hours when you take the test.
Lunch and Learn
- When: Third Wednesday of each month
- Where: Augusta Health Community Wellness Center
- What: Presentations on a variety of topics such as sleep, vitamins, cardiology, thyroid health, and more.
Please consult the current monthly calendar for details about this month’s program.