The VPAS local long-term care ombudsman, Mary Helen Brainard, helps persons living in nursing homes and assisted living facilities, and persons receiving community-based services, to assert their rights and express their grievances regarding the long-term care services they receive. Brainard is headquartered in Buena Vista, but her coverage area consists of the local five counties and five cities.
What the ombudsman does
Advocates on behalf of persons living in nursing homes and assisted living facilities.
- Investigates and helps resolve complaints regarding long-term care facilities and services.
- Counsels seniors and their families and supporters about financial, social, family, and legal concerns related to long-term care.
- Promotes and asserts the rights of older persons regarding long-term care services.
- Educates and assists clients, caregivers and families to prevent the abuse, neglect, and exploitation of older adults.
- Works to empower consumers to achieve results in obtaining needed long-term care and to help with referrals to community resources and agencies.
For assistance, please contact Mary Helen Brainard, Long-Term Care Ombudsman, toll-free at 866-816-9020.