Meals on Wheels
What are Meals on Wheels?
Nutritious, healthy meals providing one-third of the dietary reference intake (DRI) delivered to the homes of older adults who cannot prepare such a meal for themselves.
Who may receive Meals on Wheels?
Older adults who:
- Are 60 years or older and reside in the City of Staunton.**
- Are unable to leave the home to attend regular social activities.
- Are unable to prepare meals for themselves.
- Are able to remain at home safely with meals as a support service.
- Lack meal support/preparation from family members or other individuals.
**Monthly frozen meals are provided for those who reside in western Augusta County.
What does the Meals on Wheels program provide?
- A home visit from the Case Manager for an initial eligibility assessment, telephone follow up, annual reassessment for eligibility, and additional home visits as necessary.
- A variety of hot and cold meals consisting of protein, vegetables, fruit, bread, and milk.
- Daily social contact and wellness checks from a Meals on Wheels volunteer.
Meals on Wheels provides a regular diet food only. Special diets such as diabetic, renal, and vegetarian are not available.
How much do Meals on Wheels cost?
There is no charge for Meals on Wheels; however, voluntary contributions are accepted and encouraged according to one’s financial ability.
Contributions support the operation of the Meals on Wheels program. All contributions are voluntary and confidential.
Who delivers Meals on Wheels?
Friendly, caring volunteers from city and county communities deliver meals daily between 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. and provide a social and well-being check for the meal recipient.
How can I get more information about Meals on Wheels?
If you believe you qualify and need Meals on Wheels or know someone who does, please contact David Taylor at 540-885-4568 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
An in-home assessment and paperwork completion is required in order to receive Meals on Wheels. See Information and Assistance for description of assessment.